Friday, February 6, 2009

Beer

I have heard and read so many beer opinions that I'm convinced that every palate is different, and every beer drinker has slightly different tastes.

One likes what one likes, no?  I find that I most enjoy rich, malty, chewy, alcoholic Belgian-style brews.  Give me a three-quarter-liter bottle of Unibroue's Trois Pistoles and I am a happy-- tho' tipsy-- fellow.  

And then, lord love us, there's even a time and a place for a factory beer like Budweiser (hot, sweaty, thirsty as hell-- an ice cold Bud really can hit the spot).  But what do  you do when the factory beer giant Anheuser-Busch tries its hand at different beer styles?  

Take the Michelob Pale Ale.  I confess, I've not read a thing about it-- it landed in my house by mistake, in the hands of my stepson (he's 45 for chrissakes) who was trying to find something I might like.   Michelob Light is more his style; and I'm damned if I'll drink buy anything with the word "light" in its name.  (I'm not such a philistine that I wouldn't drink it if someone else paid for it.  I won't enjoy it much, though.)

So, in the spirit of experimentation (and Buy American), I cracked one open.  

Much to my own shock and surprise, I find I rather like it.  It pours (into a pint glass, you philistines!) a lovely amber color, a rather thin head with little lacing.  The nose charming, with hints of citrus.  The flavor, though-- crisp, with just a bit of hoppy aftertaste.  

This stuff thinks its a real pale ale!

No comments: